Sunday, March 20, 2011

03/20/11: Intertext - The Seasons Change


In my academic institution, the calendar divisions follow approximately the turning of the seasons. Thus with the Spring Equinox I conclude my first season of training, which lasted only eight short weeks.

This quarter I experimented with several modes of documenting this highly experiential research, and have ended up with three separate archives:

1) This blog, which records simply, if not objectively, what transpired
2) A video recording of each training session, thus far not shared online.
3) A series of “Tiny Imaginary Plays” written immediately after each training session, in which I attempted to capture at least a few drops of the unconscious material that arose during the session. You can find those plays on my other blog, Parapraxis.

I shared some of these materials with colleagues at Stanford last Friday at an open studio showing. The blog was made available, one of the six videos was projected on a large wall, and I asked attendees to read several of the Tiny Imaginary Plays out loud. I enjoyed sharing the work itself and appreciated the opportunity to discuss the significance and urgency of theatrical practice as research.

My weekly practice will continue in the spring quarter after a short break.

No comments:

Post a Comment