Saturday, February 26, 2011

Intertext: Video Documentation and its Discontents

Over the last two training sessions (#6 and #7) I finally feel like I've moved past my constant hyper-awareness of the eye of the camera in the corner of the room. I'm no longer trying to aggressively ignore it or pretend like I've forgotten it's there. It now feels more like a supportive collaborator than an invading force. I've only reviewed the footage of one session so far (#6), but I feel pleased to have a record of what these trainings look like from the outside, and I'm considering sharing clips of my work on this site.

Unsurprisingly, this comfort with video documentation of my work seems to have developed contemporaneously with a new relationship to my image of myself in training. I've been feeling greater ease working with my reflection in the mirror as a training tool, and also been less concerned about the potential narcissism of this kind of individual practice in general.

Oddly timed with my newfound appreciation of video documentation is the loss of the footage from my last training session (#7). There was an error with the video card and the data seems irretrievable. Alas! I'll press forward and try not to cry over lost documentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment