Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Intertext: Songs


This week I sent the following letter to five of my friends.

I'm a collaborator at heart.

Even if I'm working alone I want to work, somehow, with others.


****************

Dear [names redacted],

You guys know me really well and you're all very present in my head
these days and not near me in bodies.
I'm doing a solo training project thingy thing right now which means
I'm in the studio a lot improvising and trying to not feel
ridiculous.
I've been singing a lot.
But as you know, I don't know any lyrics to anything
So I've decided I'm going to learn a few songs, all the way through,
that I can sing as part of my training.
I wanted to ask each of you to give me a song to learn.
I'll never perform them so they don't have to be in my range.
I'd love for you to suggest a song you think I could learn from,
through the act of apprenticing myself to it.
As you know, I've been struggling lately in my head,
trying to change/evolve/whatever/whyisthissohardtotalkabout.
Do you have a song that might help me with that?
The one I've chosen for myself is here:
[link redacted]
It's a little cheesy but I think I need its medicine.

If you don't want to do this, no worries. Just wanted to ask.

Missing all of your bodies close to mine.

Best,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment